Corrinne & Anthony Squires had no idea that their baby had a birth defect. The routine scans of their little boy, Connor, did not detect that his oesophagus had not formed properly. An abnormal connection had formed between his oesophagus and his lungs – if he swallowed anything it would go straight into his lungs.
Corrine commented “When my waters broke I never thought for a second it’d be the last time I’d be in my house for over three weeks.”
Connor was born at 7:03pm and at approximately 11:30pm he was taken away from his Mum and Dad to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at the Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow. Corrinne had been in theatre during the birth of her son, so was not allowed to go with Connor to NICU.
“The next day I discharged myself and made my way over” Corrinne told us.
A Place at Ronald McDonald House Glasgow.
During this time Anthony had been feeling in shock and alone but with help from the ward clerk secured a room at Ronald McDonald House Glasgow.
Corrinne reflects “Neither of us had slept all night and our son was taken in for his emergency surgery at about 3pm – the fact that we were able to come to the House and had a bed to lay in while we waited for our son to come out of his operation genuinely saved me! I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like if we hadn’t had the House!”
The closeness of the House to their son’s ward made all the difference. “Even just being able to visit in the wee hours of the morning, it allowed me to breastfeed and spend some of the loveliest quiet moments with my son and husband in the most surreal situation.”
The wonderful news is that Connor is thriving and doing so well. Corrine ended with “My husband and I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all of the staff at Ronald McDonald House. The House was a home away from home and saved us both mentally and physically when our son was ill!”
Back to Stories