The Peden Family

Make a Donation

Help families at a time of crisis and bring comfort to them when they need it most.

Donate Now

At 2pm on the 2 February 2017, Jaxon was born at the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital in Glasgow. All the scans during pregnancy had been clear and he was considered to be a healthy baby. As you can imagine, his mum Amanda and family were delighted to hold him at last, safe and well.

Jaxon seemebaby in hospitald to be doing well but at 9pm a nurse came to see Amanda and Jaxon, saw that his skin colour had changed and immediately took him to their Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. They soon found out that he had a congenital heart defect affecting the tricuspid valve of the heart. They were immediately transferred to the Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow and Amanda was admitted to the Maternity Unit.

Amanda says “He just went purple in front of me. We were ushered into a side room for three hours, with no idea whether he was going to make it or not. He had tubes coming out of everywhere and was ventilated. He was dying pretty much in front of us and there was nothing we could do.”

At 9pm that night, they were advised to invite other family members to the hospital to say goodbye.

Incredibly, he made it through the night.

He was transferred to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit and the family were referred to Ronald McDonald House Glasgow. Amanda says “I had lost over a litre of blood during the birth and had very little with me. It was only upon getting to the House that I was able to get a wash and cook something to eat. We had no idea that we would end up staying for seven weeks.”

photo of child

Four days later he suffered multi-organ failure.

Amanda appreciated being able to stay so close to the hospital. “You need to be close to your child. If this place wasn’t available I would have been sleeping in my car, in the nearest car park.” The House became a ‘home from home’ and a place to rest, to meet family, wash and cook.

“You’ve got a lot of privacy here, which is amazing” says Amanda, “There were things in our room, like shampoo and toothpaste, it was fantastic and it’s immaculate.” Having a phone directly linked to the Ward was helpful too “I phoned the ward before I went to sleep, when I woke in the night and first thing in the morning.”

Jaxon is now doing well. “The doctors still don’t really know how he survived it, because babies that go through what he did … well … just don’t survive. He’s a wee miracle”.

Back to Stories

Our Newsletter

If you want to stay in touch with us, sign up to our newsletter and we’ll send you updates covering fundraising, family stories and more!